When will Saint John’s offer in-person services?
Saint John’s will start outdoor services on June 6th in our garden and will offer this service via Zoom, as well. We anticipate being able to gather indoors beginning in July, if not sooner.
What precautions will we take?
- Pre-Registration – To ensure that space is available to all who wish to attend, there will be a pre-registration service available to reserve your spot in the garden. If there is space permitting, then we will open up the garden for visitors that did not pre-register. Register here.
- Entrance and Exit – The entrance to the garden will be through the gate to the ramp on Julian Avenue and the exit will be through gates with the steps on Julian Avenue. The ramp will be available for both entrance and exit for folks who need that accessibility.
- Health Screen – Greeter will ask how the guest is feeling and if they are experiencing any symptoms. We will not be doing temperature checks or requiring proof of vaccines. If you are feeling unwell, please consider joining us by Zoom.
- Contact Tracing – The greeter will ask your name to check you in, if you are new, then we will ask for your name and an email or phone number.
- PPE – We will have hand sanitizer and masks available. We will ensure that everyone is masked at all times.
- Seating – We will ensure that each household is socially distanced from other households.
- Congregation will be allowed to sing, masked.
- Passing the Peace – We will be passing the Peace by encouraging you to do elbow shakes, bowing, etc and not shaking hands or hugging.
- Offering Collection – We strongly encourage that you continue to make your donation online or by mail. To donate, go to https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/saintjohnsf. Cash and check donations will be accepted, however, if you wish to donate on Sunday.
- Hospitality – We will not be offering food or coffee after the service. In lieu of our traditional coffee hour, we encourage you to join in fellowship either via Zoom opportunities listed on our website or come by and fellowship with folks at the Gubbio Project, Monday through Friday, until 2pm, in the garden.
- Fellowship – Socializing outside within the acknowledged guidelines will be allowed.
- Bathrooms – Bathrooms will be available.
- Cleaning and Setup – The bathrooms will be cleaned and sanitized before service and afterwards. The chairs will be sanitized. The church is cleaned daily (Mon through Fri) by the Gubbio Project and a deep clean by a professional company once a month.
- Eucharist – Eucharist will be offered and safety protocols will be established.
- Priest will consecrate communion 6 feet away from the bread and wine.
- Priest will sanitize hands before the liturgy of the table and will distribute the bread.
- There will not be a common cup, instead wine will be poured into individual glass cups for consumption.
What can you do in the meantime?
- Get vaccinated.
- Wear a mask, practice social distancing, avoid crowds and poorly ventilated spaces, and wash your hands frequently.
- Do your best self-care. Focus on quality rest, nutrition and interpersonal connection. Move regularly and take breaks when you can.
- Pray with us. Join us on Zoom for fellowship and prayer opportunities throughout the week. We offer a sung Compline Service Sunday’s at 8:30 pm and other online services throughout the week. Go to saintjohnsf.org to connect and find more information.
- Donations can be made by going to https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/saintjohnsf
- Contact us. Feel free to contact us with any questions, concerns or prayer requests. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Attend a Service at Saint John’s
Pre-Registration. You can RSVP via our website to ensure that a seat is reserved for you.
Arrive after 10am. We will not be able to open up the space until 10am while we are setting everything up. Plan your arrival for after 10am (and before 10:15am).
Enter through the Julian Gate. Please enter the church through the gate on Julian Avenue. The gate will be open at 10am. If you arrive earlier, please form a line (or stand apart from others) that is 6 feet. Follow the ramp up and stop at the end of the walkway at the Check-In station.
Check In with the Greeter. Before entering the space, you will give your name to the greeter who will check you in. There will be hand sanitizer and masks available at this table, as well. If you are visiting us for the first time, we would like to collect your name and contact number or email. The greeter will ask how you are feeling. If you are feeling unwell, please consider joining us by Zoom instead.
Proceed to your seat. Seats are arranged in clusters of 2 or 3 chairs. Each cluster is socially distanced. We encourage you to remain at your seat for the service, wear your mask.
Singing. You can sing. Just keep your mask on.
Making Announcements. The Presider will give instructions, at the proper time of the service.
Offering. To donate, go to https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/saintjohnsf, or mail us a check before or after the service. If you would like to make a cash donation, please give it to the greeter who will be sitting at the check-in table.
Receiving Eucharist. Please follow the direction of the ushers. A single line, each person individually receives the bread from the priest, moves to the deacon to receive the individual cup (optional), and proceeds to the side table to remove mask, consume elements and discard cup.
Return to your seats. After you receive the Eucharist, please put your mask back on and proceed back to your seat.
Afterwards. After the service is over we will not have coffee or food, but it is allowed to socialize outside within the acknowledged guidelines. Bathrooms will be available.
Exit. The exit will be the same as the entrance, through the Julian Avenue gates.