Music is an integral and essential part of worship at St. John’s. Our music program is known for its excellent quality and distinctive style. Our volusnteer choir leads the congregation in a wide range of music every Sunday, from traditional Anglican and Episcopal hymns to medieval chant and Renaissance motets to American folk music and spirituals. If you are interested in joining the choir, or for general inquiries email Daniel Gonzalez, Director of Music <email@example.com> or leave a leave a phone message with the church office.
Compline with Endersnight Schedule
On some third Sunday evenings of the month, we pray the ancient liturgy of Compline with Endersnight, a chamber vocal ensemble dedicated to exciting and moving performances of great music of the medieval and Renaissance eras. For more information on Endersnight, see the worship page. Sundays featuring Compline will be listed below as they are scheduled. You may also check the Endersnight facebook page (no login required).
- 16 June 2019 – 8:30pm
- 21 July 2019 – 8:30pm
- 18 August 2019 – 8:30pm
- 15 September 2019 – 8:30pm
- 20 October 2019 – 8:30pm
- 17 November 2019 – 8:30pm
- 15 Decemeber 2019 – 8:30pm
Recitals and Occasional Services
There are recitals and the occasional evensong at Saint John’s featuring music from a wide range of styles. Upcoming events will be listed here as they are scheduled. Recordings of past events may be posted below.
- 14 September 2019 – Time TBA
Home! A choral benefit concert featuring Singers of the Street SF with the Saint John’s Choir. All proceeds will be donated to The Gubbio Project. Suggested donation $20.
There are no recordings at this time. Please check back soon.
About the Organ
In 1909 St. John’s erected the present building and installed an Austin organ of ten ranks. Seventy years later the instrument needed serious repair and rebuilding. The cost of this prompted consideration of an alternative approach with the result that the Vestry authorized a search for a suitable used organ. Criteria for the organ’s selection were (l) that it have a mechanical action, (2) that it be tonally more versatile than its predecessor and capable of playing a broader spectrum of the literature, and (3) that it be able to fulfill well the demands of the Anglican service. The organist at that time, Paul Bornand, recommended that the new organ be placed in a side aisle rather than in the previous organ’s chamber. This would allow better tonal egress into the nave and permit the organist to direct the choir from the console.
The story of St. John’s “new” organ begins in January 1902, when St. Paul’s English Evangelical Lutheran Church in Davenport, Iowa, contracted with M.P. Möller, of Hagerstown, Maryland. The firm agreed to build its Op. 388, a two-manual-and-pedal instrument with tracker (mechanical) action and thirteen ranks of pipes, for $1,500 and to install it that same year. By 1980 the building housed a different congregation and the organ was no longer in use, having suffered water damage from a leak in the roof. After information furnished by the Organ Clearing House on this and other available organs had been considered, St. John’s organist Nathan Privett and organ technician John DeCamp inspected the Davenport instrument and recommended its purchase.
It was bought, dismantled, and trucked to Los Angeles, where, retaining its tracker action, Decamp rebuilt and enlarged it in the shop of Rosales Organ-builders, Inc. The organ’s freestanding placement in St. John’s required a platform for the console and sides for the case. Rosales built these according to the design of parishioner John Mitchell, who served as engineer-draftsman for the project. Rosales reconstructed the Pedal windchest as well. In May 1983, parishioner volunteers and friends began the organ’s installation in St. John’s, and one year later it was dedicated.
A full specification of the instrument is available here.
Recordings of the instrument are available above.